Getting a bite from a yellow sac spider sounds much worse than it really is, unless you are allergic. Any kind of bite seems to terrify people and for good reason, some insect venoms are very poisonous. Luckily, the yellow sac spider has venom that is not as poisonous as other insects or spiders. Many people confuse the bite from a yellow sac spider with the bite from a brown recluse spider, which is much more poisonous. The initial symptoms are very similar. The problem is that later on if the symptoms become more severe, you know it was a brown recluse and not a yellow sac spider. Many times because of the similar symptoms, the bite of a brown recluse spider is misdiagnosed as a yellow sac spider. This has resulted in the yellow sac spider being known for being one of the most common spider bites people get in the United Sates.
If you are bitten by a yellow sac spider there are some basic first aid steps to follow. Other than the symptoms that become apparent these steps can be used to help relieve the pain etc. in any occurrence of a spider bite.
- Bites often occur in bed when the yellow sac spider gets stuck in the sheets. Also, when hiding in things like the couch, shoes, or clothes.
- When a person gets bit they will feel a sharp pain, similar to the pain one would get from a wasp sting.
- The bite mark will become red and filled with puss within eight hours of the bite happening.
- Clean the bite with hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply an antiseptic like iodine.
- Ice the bite mark, and also elevate the area that has been bitten.
- Other physical side affects symptoms people will start to have can be nausea, fever, skin necrosis, and stomach cramps.
- If these symptoms are present go to a doctor as soon as possible, as there is a chance of being allergic to the yellow sac spider’s venom.
- If at all possible take the spider that bit you to the doctor for a proper diagnosis.
- The red mark will harden as it heals, and can take up to a few weeks to do so.
- While the bite is healing make sure to keep it extremely clean. Clean it thoroughly on a daily basis so that it does not get infected. If necessary, go to your doctor for an antibiotic to help as well.